From its history, the CLUB as one of the oldest sports clubs in the Hanseatic city cultivates its tradition of always promoting and further developing rowing and being open to competitive sport. This long tradition makes us proud, but even more so for the club members it is an obligation for the future.
The CLUB is the oldest rowing club in the world founded outside England and one of the largest in Germany after four first foundations in England, of which the Leander Club in Henley, England, is the most important.
In April 1853 young Hamburgers meet around the pupil Hermann Wentzel and found the Germania Ruder Club (GRC). A conspiring community linked to sporting ideals and a love of emerging water sports. She brought new boat technology and sportive rowing training, but also sports sailing to the Hanseatic city. And they had success. The first German start abroad in Paris in 1867 and the first German Oympia victory in rowing in 1900, also in Paris, are her milestones.
Both clubs have many sporting and social points of contact, in their heyday but also in times of stagnation. The CLUB resides on the banks of the Alster in Harvestehude, the Germania has its boathouse Am Langenzug on the Uhlenhorst.
The foundation of the North German Regatta Association (NRV), the Club an der Alster (CadA), the German Rowing Association (DRV), but also the German Sailing Association (DSV) can be traced back to the rowers from Harvestehuder Ufer and Uhlenhorst.